To celebrate the new month, we thought a warming and wholesome Drove Orchards Apple and Pear Cobbler with homemade apple sorbet would do just the trick for easing us into colder climes...
2 shots of passion gin
100g butter cubed
100g golden caster sugar
2 vanilla pods
700g Drove Orchard pears roughly chopped
300g Drove Orchard apples chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
For the cobbler dough
140g cold butter cut into cubes
280g plain flour
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp Demerara sugar
For the sorbet
2 cups of Drove Orchards apple juice
2/4 cup of caster sugar
1. For the fruit, and the Gin put all the ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over a low heat, stirring until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, then leave to simmer until you have a chunky fruit compote, then set aside.
2. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 6. Whisk the egg into the milk and set aside. Rub the butter and the flour together until it has the texture of chunky breadcrumbs, then stir in the caster sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and a large pinch of salt. Pour in the milk mixture and bring together to form a thick, batter-like texture.
3. Tip the compote into a baking dish and top with large spoonfuls of the cobbler mix, making sure there are a few gaps for the fruit to bubble through, then sprinkle everything with the demerara sugar. Bake for 35-40 mins or until the topping is golden and just cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 mins before serving straight from the dish with generous spoonfuls.
For the sorbet
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine apple juice and sugar and bring to a boil, whisking constantly until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let apple juice syrup cool to room temperature.
2. Pour into a 9x5-inch loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
Recipe produced by Shaun at Shuck's